Workplace Ideas: Stress Relief
Posted on March 5th, 2014 by Seth Nickinson
- Offer worksite chair massage by a massage professional.
image from Dream Clinic
- Work with an acupuncturist to offer stress-reducing in-office ear acupuncture sessions. (in Santa Barbara, try the Sage Center EAR program)
- Create a quiet “meditation zone” with music, cushions, and books to help people have a calm place to de-stress
- Offer courses in the proven Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR) system.
- Set up a book exchange.
- Offer lunchtime or just-after-work yoga classes. You can start with just a TV and DVDs. But bringing in an instructor is even better. This has been done successfully at workplaces throughout Santa Barbara. Providers include:
Lunchtime Yoga, Lompoc
- Hold a “Secret Pal” activity where participants draw a colleague’s name and does nice things for his or her pal (e.g., send special e-mails, faxes with directions to a healthy snack, special gifts, like fat free candy or home grown flowers).
- Implement a weekly “Sit In Bliss” 10-minute meditation session.
photo by Jordan Silverman, Norwich University
- Participate in “Take Your Child to Work Day” to inject youthful energy to your workplace.
- Participate in “Take Your Dog to Work Day” and explore options for allowing pets in the office.
- Create internal thank-you cards or notes where employees can offer each other thoughtful appreciation when someone does them a nice turn.
- Offer an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Offer free Carpal Tunnel prevention workshops